- ICT (6th Form)
Careers Advice and Guidance
Careers Education and Guidance/Work Related Learning and Enterprise Education
Careers guidance at NKS has never been so accessible and we are proud of the support this gives our students. We have now appointed our own in-house Careers Advisor, Mrs Vernon, to ensure that all students have access to timely Careers advice from a fully trained provider.
- For the younger year groups Careers Education has the emphasis placed on learning new skills and recognising the qualities that will be needed to progress to work-based training, further education or sixth form. Assistance with choosing options in Year 9 is offered and students are encouraged to consider the implications of their choices.
- In Year 10 students undertake an Enterprise activity which encourages them to be innovative, practice their presentation skills & work collaboratively in teams. We run this with help from outside business advisors and preparatory workshops. Year 10 students also undertake a valuable week of work experience with local businesses/professionals offering many of them their first taste of employment.
- Guest speakers from the armed forces, industry, retailing and the public sector are invited into school to talk to students about the types of careers they can offer and the qualifications and skills necessary to undertake them. A Year 11 Careers Convention also takes place in school and here they have the opportunity to speak to prospective employers and find out more about the career paths open to them.
- In Year 11 students will spend time acquiring interview techniques, compiling a CV, a job application letter and form. They will then have individual mock job interviews and feedback.
- For the Sixth Form students we arrange attendance at University fairs and all students are given one-to one support when deciding whether to apply to University and help & guidance with the UCAS applications. Work Placements are considered highly beneficial and strongly encouraged.
All students have the opportunity for a one-to-one careers interview with Mrs. Vernon and drop-in sessions are easily available. Students wanting further guidance from outside agencies (eg. CXK, formally Connexions) are also able to arrange this via Mrs. Vernon.
Throughout their time at the school students have access to a well-stocked careers library and software to help them make their choices. The Careers area of the Library contains information on a huge range of career options, prospectuses and other information for UK universities, open day information, studying abroad, gap year information, advice on student life and finances. The Careers area on the school VLE is also a valuable source of information.
Our careers programme is aimed at helping all students to achieve their ambitions whether they end their formal education at 16, 18 or beyond.
Ms H Vernon
Head of Careers